The Third Annual Pat Schneider Poetry Contest
sponsored by Amherst Writers & Artists
First Prize: $1,000 and publication of winning poem in Peregrine
Chief Judge: Dr. Sue Walker, Stokes Distinguished Professor, University of South Alabama and Poet Laureate of Alabama 2007-2012
Please note: The entry fee of $18.00 must accompany each submission, which can be as many as 3 poems.
One first place winner and up to three honorable mentions will be published in Peregrine XXIX.
1. Up to three poems per person will be accepted for consideration. No poem should be more than two manuscript pages. Since the poems will be judged anonymously, sheets which contain the poems should not have the poet’s name on them; instead a separate sheet should list the poet’s name, mailing address, phone number, email address and the titles of the poems. Poems will not be returned, so do not include a SASE with your submission.
2. A check or money order for $18.00 payable to Amherst Writers & Artists must accompany submission of as many as 3 poems (in the memo section of the check please write “Poetry Contest”). No signature confirmation accepted.
3. Please write: Poetry Contest on the front of the envelope containing your poems.
4. Only unpublished poems may be submitted to the Contest.
5. Deadline: July 1, 2013 (postmark).
6. Winners will be announced upon receiving the Chief Judge Dr. Sue Walker's results, in fall 2013.
7. Contest entrants are asked not to contact AWA in reference to the Contest. Winners will be notified by mail.
Winners’ names will also appear on our website and in press releases.
Send poems to:
Pat Schneider Poetry Contest
c/o Amherst Writers & Artists
P.O. Box 1076
Amherst, MA 01004
Employees and board members of AWA are not eligible to submit to the contest.